top of page

How the Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) is affecting immigration. Part II: International Student.

As of March 11, 2020, the World Health Organization (WHO) as declared COVID-19 (known as Coronavirus) a pandemic. The number of COVID-19 cases are continuously increasing in Canada (from less than 500 cases before March 15th, 2020 to over 6320 cases on March 30th, 2020). This is the reason why the risk to Canadians is considered high. In order to flatten this curve to protect the people of Canada and its health system, the Government of Canada has put in place some travel restrictions. These restrictions have affected a lot of Foreign Workers and International Students as many of them were not being able to come back to Canada. In this article, we will talk about International Student in Canada or outside Canada affected by COVID-19.

International Student in Canada

Many designated learning institutions are switching their in-class courses to an online-only format to fight against the spread of COVID-19 for their Spring Semester. If you are currently in Canada and have to pursue your study online, it won’t affect your eligibility for your Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) in the future.

If your student visa is about to expire, please extend it if you are eligible. You should apply to extend your permit at least 30 days before it expires.

If your permit is already expired, you must restore it within 90 days after the expiration on your student permit.

In order to comply with the immigration regulations, you must:

- Submit your application within 90 days of losing your status.

- Keep meeting the requirements for your stay (the requirements are stated on your permit).

- Have met all the conditions listed on your permit and pay your fees (Restoration fee and study permit fee).

If it has been longer than 90 days since your student permit has expired, you must apply for a Temporary Resident Permit as soon as possible to overcome your inadmissibility as you do not have a valid status in Canada anymore. Once again, it is really important for you to include a note explaining the reason you need to extend your stay.

If you are no longer working or studying, and you wish to stay longer in Canada, you can switch your status to visitor (you must hold a valid study or work permit to be eligible).

International Student Outside of Canada

If you are presently outside of Canada and hold a valid study permit or were approved for a study permit on or before March 18th, 2020, you are exempt from the travel restrictions. Nevertheless, you will be required to pass a health check before boarding your flight to Canada. This check will be conducted by your airline. If you show any symptoms of COVID-19, you will not be allowed on the plane. When you will arrive in Canada, the immigration authorities will re-assess your health before you leave the airport. You must self-isolate for 14 days even if you have no symptoms. This is MANDATORY.

If your visa has been approved after March 18th, 2020, you are not allowed to come to Canada until further notice from the Government of Canada.

Fidus Immigration is specialized in temporary resident visa. If you are encountering any issue while doing your online application, please feel free to contact us at or at +1(403)471-8035.

We are aware that it is a complicated moment financially for a lot of people around the world and in Canada. We are also aware that Student can only work 20h off-campus and that all the students working on-campus have been temporary laid-off. For all of these reasons, we will be giving a 50% discount on our professional fees to help you get the help you deserve. We believe that immigration counsel should not be a privilege but a right.

17 views0 comments


bottom of page