top of page
Study Visas: Projects

Student Visa

Many Canadian Universities and Colleges offer programs for International Students. In order to be recognized by the Government of Canada, the University or College you have chosen needs to be a Designated Learning Institution.
There is no doubt that no matter what you pursue, whether a college diploma, a degree, master, or Ph.D., Canada offers plenty of opportunities for everyone looking to consolidate their education. With 10 universities ranked in top 250 in the world, you will take advantage of the highly trained educators, cutting edge technology, and an educational system that promotes cross-disciplinary studies and the development of transferable skills (critical thinking, teamwork, etc)

Depending on how long you are planning on studying in Canada, you might not need a study visa:

  • If you are planning on studying less than 6 months in Canada, you do not need a study visa but you still need the authorization to come to Canada.

  • If you are planning of studying longer than 6 months, you will need a study visa to come to Canada.​


Student Visa process:

  • Apply to a program in a recognized Canadian Institution.

  • Receive a letter of Admission from this institution.

  • Apply for Student Visa.

  • Receive your student visa from the Government of Canada.

  • Come to Canada.

Having a letter of acceptance does not guarantee to receive a Student Visa. As it is a temporary visa, you must prove that you will leave the country by the end of your authorized period of stay. 

Tip to be successful: submit as many documents as possible to prove that you will leave Canada by the end of authorized stay. 

Student Direct Stream (SDS)

The Government of Canada created the fastest way to receive your student visa. This program is only available if you are a legal resident of: China, India, Morocco, Pakistan, The Philippines, Senegal, or Vietnam. 

Note: processing time under the SDS: 20 calendar days 


Learn More about the Eligibility Process

  • You must have an acceptance letter from a post-secondary.

  • You must be living outside of Canada when you apply.

  • You must have proof you have paid your tuition for your first year of study.

  • You must have a Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC) of CAN$10,000.

  • You must submit your most recent secondary or post-secondary school transcript(s)

  • You must have scored 6.0 or higher in each skill (reading, writing, speaking, and listening) on the IELTS or; you must have scored 7 or higher in each skill (reading, writing, speaking, and listening) on the TEF. ​



Work While You Study:

Even though studying in Canada is cheaper than studying in other top countries, being an international student can get expensive. International students pay higher fees than domestic students. On the brighter side, as an international student, you are allowed to work whether off-campus (20h/week during school time and full-time on your school breaks) or on-campus (No time limit). This will help you replenish your savings and even save enough to pay for the next semesters.


Further Immigration options:

Studying in another country, including Canada, will grant you a temporary resident visa that will last until the end of your program. Once you graduate and your visa expires, you will have to return home.

In that aspect, Canada designed several programs that will help you achieve permanent resident status. One of the most popular programs for students is the Post Graduate Work Permit which grants students an open work visa for the same amount of time as their studies. This means you can to stay and work legally anywhere in Canada.


Almost all provinces provide a Provincial Nominee Program, which is another path for applicants to get permanent residence through the Federal Government once they have been nominated by a province. 

Another program is the Canadian Experience Class, the Federal Skilled Trades Class, or the Federal Skilled Worker program under Express Entry, which rewards applicants with extra points for studying and working in Canada.

Deciding to study abroad can be hard, but once you have decided to come to Canada to forward your career, Canada has a very clear and open path for its international students that want to stay and become Canadian Resident, ultimately a Canadian Citizen.

Fidus Immigration can help you in getting the right information regarding how to get a student visa, how to apply for a work-permit while being a student, and the steps of getting your Canadian Permanent Residency after graduation.

Contact us or book a consultation now, we will be honored to help you in your immigration journey to Canada.

Image by Annie Spratt
Study Visas: Contact
bottom of page